The RequirementsTo be a good fit for this opportunity you will have:
- A bachelor's degree in Journalism, Communications, or a related field, or equivalent experience.
- 3+ years of journalism experience with a proven ability in reporting and writing.
- Demonstrated experience breaking news in a beat environment in real time across multiple platforms.
- Experience on a professional sports beat; NFL experience is preferred.
- Mastery of all relevant social media platforms and experience with search engine optimization (SEO) practices.
- Proven experience building, maintaining and engaging an active audience for a top-tier sports team.
- The ability to work independently under deadline pressure and prioritize tasks appropriately.
- An understanding of the imperatives of multiple platforms (print, mobile, internet, etc.) and a proven ability to utilize a broad set of tools to tell stories and engage the audience.
- Understanding of the methods and tools used to deliver content across a variety of platforms such as Moveable Type CMS, SCC Budgeting and Archiving System, smartphones.
- The ability to leverage relationships with sources to deliver content that differentiates the organization from competitors.
- An understanding of and willingness to keep abreast of industry advances and proactively consider new methods of reaching audiences.
The RoleYou'll be an expert on the New Orleans Saints, working as part of a three-person team that will analyze and report on the Saints and cover breaking news in a very competitive environment. We are facing increasing pressure from competing media locally and nationally, and so we are looking for someone who can react to breaking news quickly and with skill. This will require that you be highly engaged in the community, and establish relationships with all types of people associated with the team including players, coaches, agents, etc. You'll be based in New Orleans but work remotely, mostly from the Saints practice facility.
Most of your time will be spent interviewing and interacting with Saints coaches, front-office personnel, and players; monitoring social media streams for breaking news; creating videos of yourself, players, and coaches to post; writing blog posts; and creating in-depth stories.
Some of your specific responsibilities will include:
- Gathering information and writing journalistically sound news elements for use across multiple media platforms.
- Learning and employing techniques for effective digital "beat-blogging" reporting across all platforms,
- Frequent, incremental posting throughout the day.
- Story aggregation and topical link-posting.
- Monitoring and engaging in reader comment streams on NOLA.com impact pages.
- Elevating comments into new posts when appropriate.
- Interacting on social media platforms with story shares, objective commentary, promotion of your topic and the news organization's content initiatives.
- Understanding and employing the means for monitoring audience interest and competitors' posting on your topic, including setting up Google alerts, Twitter and RSS feeds.
- Providing opinion and analysis as the authoritative voice for Saints coverage.
- Using hardware, software and cloud-based equipment and systems for direct-to-web production and engagement.
- Making appearances on television and radio as a team expert.
Keys to SuccessTo excel in this role, you'll need to have experience in professional sports beat reporting as well as very refined digital skills. You will come into the role ready to be a digital leader, particularly in social media, and already trained in the use of all relevant platforms.
We are looking for someone who can capture the excitement of a playoff-caliber NFL team, and who can compete with major news outlets around the country to stay on top of newsworthy happenings. Building readership in a competitive environment will require that you continually strive to be the fastest and best at breaking news.
You'll also need to build relationships in the community, including working with agents, in order to be sure you have the right information at the right time. If you have strong sports-writing experience, you thrive on competition, and you have a hunger to work on a premier beat that gets national attention, then we want to hear from you!