The RequirementsTo be a good fit for the Lead Business Reporter opportunity, you will have:
- A bachelor's degree or equivalent experience
- 5+ years of journalism experience in a newspaper or online newsroom, with proven business reporting and writing ability
- Editing experience preferred but not required
- Experience building, maintaining and engaging an active online audience
- The ability to work under deadline pressure and prioritize tasks appropriately
- Solid understanding of news writing, journalistic ethics and story structure
- Experience with search engine optimization practices
- Experience taking photos as well as recording audio and video, with the ability to edit
- Demonstrated capability in capitalizing on high-value topics by engaging audiences in frequency and urgency
- An understanding of the methods and tools used to deliver content across a variety of platforms such as Moveable Type CMS, SCC Budgeting and Archiving System and smartphones
- An understanding of the imperatives of multiple platforms print, mobile, Internet, etc
- Proven ability to utilize a broad set of tools to tell stories and engage the audience
- Experience using social media to source and promote content, and basic HTML or equivalent web language is an asset
- The ability and desire to stay abreast of industry advances and to proactively consider new methods of reaching audiences including engaging, interactive and optimized product offerings
The RoleAs the Lead Business Reporter, you will break news, develop enterprise reporting, engage your audience and aggregate relevant content that establishes you as an authority on the business beat. You will coordinate the day-to-day reporting efforts of three full-time business reporters and yourself, in consultation with a managing editor. You will think strategically about business coverage, develop enterprise projects for yourself and other business reporters, maintain story budgets that the print team will use in putting together daily newspapers, and participate in digital and print business-content initiatives.
You will be based in a downtown newsroom but encouraged to work remotely and equipped with the tools that enable you to do so effectively. Collaboration is a core value, so you must be able to work closely with other reporters, editors, photographers, graphic artists and digital operations staffers, and in doing so, promote a company-wide spirit of innovation and collegiality.
Your normal work hours may include early mornings, nights and/or weekends, so schedule flexibility is key.
Keys to SuccessTo excel in this role, you must be a dynamic leader, relentless reporter and talented writer committed to using all of the digital tools at your disposal to produce compelling multimedia business content every working day. You should be able to proactively identify important business stories and respond quickly, either by reporting them yourself or directing coverage from your team, and to keep the quality of business content consistently relevant and engaging.
You must have a demonstrated digital proficiency and a multimedia mindset. Because we are a digitally-focused newsroom that reports in real-time, you should be comfortable working in a fast-paced environment. You must be someone who excels under pressure and welcomes competition in the media marketplace. You should be equally comfortable working collaboratively and independently, whether contributing to a big story with a team of reporters, editors and photographers or identifying content topics and trends in a self-directed environment.